PALEO/GLUTEN FREE/DAIRY FREE/REFINED SUGAR FREE
Açaí Bowls have been hot on the market for a few years now – especially for those in pursuit of a plant based lifestyle. Most people think it’s just another name for a smoothie bowl, however Açaí is a specific ingredient.
So what is Açaí? Well, firstly, lets get pronunciation out of the way: ah-sigh-ee. Açaí is a small purple berry, usually found in South American Amazonian forests. It’s renowned for its health benefits globally and became a ‘superfood’ overnight.
Below are some of the benefits as per Dr Axe.
Acai comes loaded with numerous nutrients including:
- Antioxidants (anthocyanins, polyphenols, vitamins A, C and E)
- Healthy fats including monounsaturated fats and omega fatty acids (including omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 and fatty acids like linoleic acid, palmitic acid and oleic acid)
- Dietary fiber
- Certain essential amino acids
- Electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and manganese)
- Plant sterols (B-sitosterol, campesterol and sigmasterol)
- Other trace minerals (iron, calcium, copper and zinc)
- B vitamins (B1, B2 and B3)
So there ya go – plenty of reasons to add a little Açaí into your next smoothie. Or ya know, just make this bowl!
If you’re losing weight, I wouldn’t necessarily have these daily. Personally, I think eggs for breakfast set you up the best for weight loss, but this could easily replace a morning smoothie! To me this is more of a snack/dessert as it wouldn’t sustain me for long as a breakfast.
The fun part for sure is the decorating; I like to use a combination of desiccated coconut, cacao nibs, frozen or fresh berries and chopped banana.
Don’t forget to tag me in your creations – @elorahh and #theshrinkingviolet – I LOVE seeing what you create!